Sunday 7 December 2014

Looking for my FIRST JOB

As a new year comes to a close and another year seems to come hurtling closer and closer I am in the position of still applying for permanent teaching positions. I'm not sure what the journey has been like for other beginning teachers but for me it's been tough out there.

Having completed my course at a strange time in April. I was hopeful about getting a job in the second and third terms and when this didn't happen I realised that I needed to change things up.

I had been living in my home town (which is teeny tiny) doing customer service type jobs to help me get out of debt and taking the odd relieving position to try and keep my hand in (there is only one small school back home). During all this I was feverishly sending out job applications and waiting and hoping! Having no success I decided to move to the big smoke of Wellington (the greatest little capital in the world) and try my hand at relieving there.

And that is what I have been doing for the last two months; showing my face and hoping to make good impressions. It's been such good experience but also very challenging some days to come into a classroom and try to run it, knowing nothing or very little about that particular class: how it runs and the children who are in it. It goes against everything I have been taught about how to teach. I have made several mistakes and learnt some very valuable lessons That being said I have also had lots of fun. I have to remind myself of this sometimes when I'm having a bad day and remind myself why I wanted to teach in the first place; wanting to help children find their passion and inspire them to learn.

I am crossing my fingers that next year will be my year and I will finally be a teacher with a classroom, instead of a tumbleweed teacher blowing where the winds takes me.

So, here's to 2015 and wishing that I'll find a job and that other out there like me will too.

No comments:

Post a Comment