Tuesday 10 March 2015

Bringing Outside Interests into the Classroom

Reflective Teaching 30 Day Blog Challenge
Day 21: Do you have other hobbies/interests that you bring into your classroom teaching? Explain.


As a lover of literature I am constantly bring the enthusiasm I have for both reading and writing into the classroom. I enjoy sharing stories with the children in my class. I think it is great to be able to share my enjoyment of these subjects and hopefully infect the children with my enthusiasm.

I also share stories of my travels with children and relate them to relevant class discussions. It is great to share my experiences with the children and help them learn about places beyond their knowledge.

It is also good for the children in my class to see me as more than just a teacher. Therefore, where appropriate, I share things that are happening in my life. For example, my sister had a baby and I became an aunty for the first time and I shared this moment with the class. It was special to be able to tell them things about my life and let them get to know me more as a person outside of the school.

BUT

I do think this is something that I could do more as a teacher and bring in my interests and hobbies into the learning in the classroom as my excitement and passion for things are what make learning more interesting and engaging.

No comments:

Post a Comment